Sunday, January 24, 2010

Match report

We played a team called San Lucas last night, and really, the most difficult part of the match was trying to distinguish between their yellow and white jerseys, and our yellow and blue ones.

Our main focus last night was to get Sabina as many goals as we could, because she's in contention for most goals scored (as she almost always is) and the games against weaker teams are a good chance for her to rack up some extra goals.

In the end, she scored six. I netted two of my own, one with my right, a high floater from midfield, and the other one with my left, a sidefooted finish from close range. To be honest, neither Sabi nor I were having particularly good nights in terms of finishing. There was one sequence where she and I kept slamming volleys off the boards, trying to put them on net. We must have hit about six or seven before the ball skittered out of bounds. It was kind of funny and kind of frustrating.

Best moment of the night, though, was when we had come back from scoring a goal, and the other team lined up to take the kick off. Since the field is small, you can have a shot from kick off and have a decent chance at scoring. So one of the girls from the other team, a defender, stepped up to take the shot. She plays with us on Sundays, but with San Lucas on Saturdays, and she's got a wicked boot. So Sabi and I are standing there, and Sabi sees her coming and mutters, "Chingue su madre" at the same time that I mutter, "Oh, shit." We have a quick laugh at that, and then of course I get hit square in the back and Sabi has a good laugh at my misfortune.

Next week we get Club Joma, the team that rounds out the 'top four' in our league. There's us, Club Independiente, Tormenta, and Joma. Depending on how things shake out, I think we will be fighting for third with Joma, so this is a pretty important match. Joma are good, but I know they aren't as good as Tormenta, and we held our own with Tormenta until pretty late in the game.

Me myself, I'm just happy to be back playing at full speed and full intensity. Football is pretty much my lifeline, the one thing that I can always count on to make me happy, and it's just a game that I play for an hour every week, but I feel like I'm so fortunate and lucky to have even one source of complete and total happiness.

No comments: