Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Feeling so accomplished...

So I spent pretty much the whole day on the internet slogging through various maps of Taipei, Yonghe, and the bus routes that connect the two, trying to figure out the best way to get to NTU with the least amount of hassle. Finally, finally I came to a route that's incredibly simple and should work like a charm, and all I have to do tomorrow is get on the bus and make sure it actually does work. It involves some walking, but I'm up to that, and assuming this does work and I can get myself into Taipei City, from there I can pretty much get myself anywhere I need to with the MRT.

I also had my first full meal on my own. The first few days, when I didn't go somewhere with Jessie, I was pretty much surviving on a few dumplings and/or a bowl of noodles. Tonight, I bit the bullet and went in to a cafeteria-style place that Jessie took me to when we first came to Yonghe, and it's actually really easy because it's basically a buffet and you just tell the servers what you want. I was kind of guiltily going about the point-and-don't-talk routine, and then noticed that the Taiwanese woman next to me was doing the same thing, and so felt slightly less guilty.

Garbage collection happens each day here, at 1 PM and 7 PM for our neighborhood. So I went out at 7 tonight and was waiting around, and this old woman who was there last night, came over and said something to me in Taiwan-hua. I told her in Mandarin that I didn't understand, and I don't think she understood me. Then a younger woman, probably in her 40s, entered the conversation, and started talking to me in Mandarin. When I told her I was an American student, both she and the older woman smiled and said "你好" (Hello) as a kind of welcome. The younger woman then proceeded to talk to me in very good English, and told me she lived on the 3rd floor right above me. She was really friendly, and it was really nice to make that connection with the neighbors. Earlier, Jessie was joking that garbage collection is the social time for neighbors, but I can see how it's true--it's a designated time for everyone to come out and stand around and engage in an activity together.

The weather here is hot and humid, and I don't really mind it except at the end of the day, when I'm all sticky and sweaty and itchy. Like now. I don't really notice it during the day, but once I sit down and rest, I suddenly feel like I have ants all over my skin and it's very unpleasant. I'm trying not to shower more than once a day to save on the water bill (I'm such a cheapskate), but with this weather, I think I might have to give in and do two showers a day.

Tonight my big debate is whether to get up at 4 AM to watch Liverpool play the second leg of their CL qualifier against Standard Liege at Anfield. I don't know where I'll get the feed, but I'm sure it's out there. Unfortunately Star Sports isn't playing it, otherwise I could watch it on the TV here in the apartment. The first leg was a 0-0 tie, so this is a pretty big game (unfortunately). Though, to be honest, I think Rafa's probably putting the emphasis on the domestic league this season--Champions League is less important to the fan base, I think.

It's kind of crazy to think that a year ago, I would be sitting down to watch the match with Tom and Hailu and the other guys in the Cooler. It seems like yesterday, and yet it seems like forever and a day ago. It's just crazy, that I'm actually here, doing this, living in Taiwan.

No comments: